Are you feeling troubled by foggy headlights?
If you are in the habit of night-driving, foggy headlights can become a problem for you as well as those who travel with you. It will reduce your visibility, thus increasing your chances of an accident. Hence, you should take care of your headlight lenses regularly, no matter how recent they are. But, if your headlights have already become less bright or yellowish, you can easily clean and restore them to their previous condition without much hassle. How? Let us get down to the details:
First of all, What are Foggy Headlights?
The headlights are those components of your car that get contaminated first as they are directly exposed to environmental dirt and dust. As a result, they become misty and yellowish after some time. Furthermore, if you drive regularly, this phenomenon will occur faster. The layer of dust that collects over your headlights turn them foggy. Generally, all headlights are composed of polycarbonate plastic. Sometimes, the UV rays of the Sun degrades the outer plastic covering, causing fogginess and affecting visibility.
How to Get Rid of This Fogginess?
In minor cases, that is, if the misty layer is thin, you can take care of your foggy headlights at home itself. All you need is some amount of baking soda or toothpaste, a clean towel, an old rug, a pair of latex gloves, a mild cleanser, a brush and some water. Once you have these things ready, follow the steps given below:
- Clean your headlights – Spray the mild cleanser on the surface of your headlights and wipe it gently with the towel. This will get rid of any external contaminant like leaves, dirt, dead insects and etc.
- Dry them with a clean towel – Use the old cloth to wipe the surface dry. Make sure that it is 100% free of moisture before going on to the next step.
- Apply the headlight cleansing agent – You can either use toothpaste or baking soda depending on your specific preferences. However, a professional agency for car detailing in Calgary or elsewhere will use other high-quality cleansing agents instead of these regular products. Anyways, if you are using baking soda, dilute it with some amount of water to make a thick paste. Apply this paste over your headlights and leave it for a few minutes.
- Remove the paste with a brush – Use a soft-bristled brush to remove the paste slowly from the surface of your headlights. Move the brush in a circular motion around the surface and gently make your way to the center. Remember, the cleansing material is abrasive, so do not use force to remove it. Gradually, you will notice the yellow fog disappear from the surface of the headlights.
- Get rid of excess cleanser – Use the dry towel again and rub the surface of the headlights to remove any residue. Spray some clean water and rub it dry using the towel. Once you are done, notice the difference in the shine and brightness of your car headlights.
Although the process is quite simple, yet it takes time. Many people love to attend to their beloved car on weekends, cleaning them and taking care of all their needs. To them, this time is a thoughtful investment as they love the job. But to others, it feels like an additional work that takes up a lot of weekend leisure time. If you fall in the latter group, it is advisable to opt for a full service car wash in Calgary and hand over the job to the professionals. They will use effective procedures to remove the yellowish fogginess in no time and turn your headlights as clean as brand new.